Thanks for reminding us that we’ve hired a President whom we’d not hire to organize the supply closet. Here’s my $.02:
If you earnestly believe these facts are unimpeachable, turn this document into something effective in the minds of people who didn’t vote in 2000 or who are inclined to vote for him again. At least that gets you past the current pattern of progressives talking to each other and affecting no other opinions.
To be useful, this document needs focus and substantiation. If this were a blog, I’d want it to appeal to someone who isn’t convinced of these facts or their import. I’d feel compelled to provide links to mainstream media and include some graphs and charts. It should be shorter and punchier, with a link to a more complete web page with deeper documentation and more mainstream media links. Lose the links to Hyperreal.org and http://www.votetoimpeach.org/. They only convince the convinced.
This is worth editing and putting on a web site. The facts must be so true and the wording so tight that they’re indisputable. Then you need to find a rich progressive to underwrite a challenge: $10,000 to anyone who can prove these facts wrong ($100,000 would be better).
Then you need to retain an auditing firm to audit any claims that these facts are wrong. If someone claims there’s an error, let them put up $1,000 against the $100,000 reward (I like that number better). Turn it into a media circus, if you can find a medium that wants a circus. Find an Edward R. Murrow to take this and run with it.
That alone will not change as many minds as you would think, since Dubya’s appeal is not based on facts but feelings. The people who blame all their problems on the gummint were in a kind of personal hell during the 90s. They felt then as you do now. They honestly believe that the government does nothing useful and should be reduced to the vanishing point (except for the military, which should get 1/3 of the GDP, since killing heathens is something worth living for).
People who support Bush are getting the government they deserve. They don’t want to pay attention to government and details and policy and diplomacy and all the rest. They want someone who expresses anger at the things that piss all of us off. They want someone who convinces them that he is honorable and that he’ll take care of the bad guys and will make the world stop being so complicated and dangerous. These are not stupid people, but they believe there’s a stern but fair and honest father out there somewhere who will take care of us and never dip into the petty cash drawer. And they believe they’ve found him.
Oh yeah, they also believe there’s a criminal behind every tree and that we need to lock them up and throw away the key. Criminal includes every insecure teenager wearing a head rag and walkin’ the Pimp Roll in the mall.
On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 03:52 AM, Alan Peevers wrote:
This lovely and impressive resume (sent to me by my brother) really illustrates why we can’t go back to sleep. I think Bush is worse for the world than any other president in US history. Anyone have any news or opportunities to defeat him in ’04?
George W. Bush Resume
Past work experience:
- Ran for congress and lost.
- Produced a Hollywood slasher B movie.
- Bought an oil company, but couldn’t find any oil in Texas, company went bankrupt shortly after I sold all my stock.
- Bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using tax-payer money.
Biggest move: Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago White Sox.
- With fathers help (and his name) was elected Governor of Texas.
Accomplishments as Governor of Texas:
- Changed pollution laws for power and oil companies and made Texas the most polluted state in the Union. Replaced Los Angeles with Houston as the most smog ridden city in America.
- Cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas government to the tune of billions in borrowed money.
- Set record for most executions by any Governor in American history.
- Became president after losing the popular vote by over 500,000 votes, with the help of my father’s appointments to the Supreme Court.
Accomplishments as president:
- Attacked and took over two countries.
- Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury.
- Shattered record for biggest annual deficit in history.
- Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12 month period.
- Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock market.
- First president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.
- First president in US history to enter office with a criminal record.
- First year in office set the all-time record for most days on vacation by any president in US history.
- After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, presided over the worst security failure in US history.
- Set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips than any other president in US history.
- In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their job.
- Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any president in US history.
- Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12 month period.
- Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in US history.
- Set the record for the least amount of press conferences than any president since the advent of television.
- Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any president in US history.
- Presided over the biggest energy crises in US history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.
- Presided over the highest gasoline prices in US history and refused to use the national reserves as past presidents have.
- Cut healthcare benefits for war veterans.
- Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.
- Dissolved more international treaties than any president in US history.
- My presidency is the most secretive and un-accountable of any in US history.
- Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in US history (the ‘poorest’ multi-millionaire, Condoleeza Rice has an Chevron oil tanker named after her).
- First president in US history to have all 50 states of the Union simultaneously go bankrupt.
- Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any market in any country in the history of the world.
- First president in US history to order a US attack and military occupation of a sovereign nation.
- Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States.
- Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any president in US history.
- First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the human rights commission.
- First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the elections monitoring board.
- Removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of congressional oversight than any
presidential administration in US history.
- Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.
- Withdrew from the World Court of Law.
- Refused to allow inspectors access to US prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.
- First president in US history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 US elections).
- All-time US (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign donations.
- My biggest life-time campaign contributor presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation).
- Spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in US history.
- First president in US history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community.
- First president to run and hide when the US came under attack (and then lied saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1).
- First US president to establish a secret shadow government.
- Took the biggest world sympathy for the US after 911, and in less than a year made the US the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in US and world history).
- With a policy of ‘dis-engagement’ created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.
- Fist US president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability.
- First US president in history to have the people of South Korea more threatened by the US than their immediate neighbor, North Korea.
- Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.
- Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who violated US law by not selling huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.
- Failed to fulfill my pledge to get Osama Bin Laden ‘dead or alive’.
- Failed to capture the anthrax killer who tried to murder the leaders of our country at the United States Capitol building. After 18 months I have no leads and zero suspects.
- In the 18 months following the 911 attacks I have successfully prevented any public investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the United States.
- Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in US history.
- In a little over two years created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided the US has ever been since the civil war.
- Entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down. Records and References:
- At least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving record has been erased and is not available).
- AWOL from National Guard and Deserted the military during a time of war.
- Refused to take drug test or even answer any questions about drug use.
- All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to my fathers library, sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.
- All records of any SEC investigations into my insider trading or bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.
- All minutes of meetings for any public corporation I served on the board are sealed in secrecy and un-available for public view.
- Any records or minutes from meetings I (or my VP) attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and un-available for public review.
For personal references please speak to my father or James Baker (they can be reached at their offices of the Carlyle Group, profiteering handsomely from recent and current U.S. military activities.)